This Sweet Potato and Kale Soup is healthy, quick and cheap to make and one hot bowlful instantly makes the world a better place! Soup recipes are a mainstay in our family food line up and are also a great way to involve kids in the kitchen – get them chopping and peeling or bashing up herbs!
You will need;
Large pan and a stick blender or food processor with blender attachment.
- One large sweet potato or equivalent in smaller ones – diced
- 2 medium white onions or 4 medium shallots – peeled and chopped roughly
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 4-5 medium carrots – peeled and chopped
- Generous bunch of kale or Cavolo Nero – woody stalks removed and sliced
- One tin chopped tomatoes
- Stock (either homemade 1.5 litres of water plus a stock cube or boullion powder)
- Small bunch of fresh parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add the chopped sweet potato, onion, carrots and garlic into a large pan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil (or Fry Light if you follow a Slimming World Diet) and sautee gently until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for around 30-45 minutes. Add the herbs and sliced Kale and simmer for another few minutes.
- Puree the mixture with a stick blender or similar until smooth. If the soup is a little thick for your liking just add a little more water. Add salt and pepper to taste!